A healthy, hearty meal in under 30 minutes
This is the perfect lower carb alternative to spaghetti Bolognese and it’s just as easy.
Using either low fat beef or turkey breast mince means you can enjoy this mouth-watering meal guilt free.
For your meal you will need:
- 3 large red or yellow peppers
- Tbsp Coconut oil
- 500g 5% fat beef mince or turkey breast mince
- ½ red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Tsp cumin
- 4-5 mushrooms , sliced
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef/chicken stock cube
- Tsp oregano
- 60g grated cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- Your favourite green vegetables to go alongside
This recipe will easily feed 2 people with a little left over for lunch.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Place a baking tray with a little coconut oil in the oven until the oil has melted. Halve the peppers lengthways, then remove the seeds and core but keep the stalks on. Cover the peppers with the oil and season well. Roast for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, fry the mince for 2-3 mins, stirring to break up the chunks, then tip onto a plate once cooked.
- Wipe out your pan, then heat the rest of the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir-fry for 2-3 mins, then add the cumin and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 mins more.
- Tip the mince back into the pan and add the chopped tomatoes and tomato purée. Crumble in the stock cube and cook for 3-4 mins, then add the oregano and season. Remove the peppers from the oven and fill them with as much of the mince as you can. (Don’t worry if some spills out it – it will go nice and crisp in the oven.) Top with the cheese and return to the oven for 10-15 mins until the cheese starts to turn golden.
- Carefully slide the peppers onto a plate and serve alongside your favourite greens and serve.
A great meal to have midweek and enjoy as a family or with friends around the dinner table.